The first time I made this I was throwing a dinner party for ten friends from school. It was 1988 and I would throw dinner parties for me and all my 15 year old friends. Seriously, there were things I'd cook back then I could never be bothered to even try and attempt now. This is not one of them. Sure there's the whole farnarkling of cutting up the potatoes, but really, it's worth it in the end.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500ml milk
- 500ml thickened cream
- 2kg potatoes, cut into 1cm slices
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 190C
- Butter a large ceramic baking dish
- Bring the garlic, milk and cream to the boil
- Add the seasonings and potatoes - cook until potatoes are soft but not falling apart
- Layer the potatoes in the baking dish, pour over the cream mix
- Bake for around 30 minutes.